All 1,043 flash Reviews

Madness Zombie Survival Madness Zombie Survival

I would have been pumped if this was a full game. It was a very simple concept, but with the addition of more weapons and levels this would be great.

~ Errors/Glitches ~

Maybe I did something wrong on my end, but when I had enough points I purchased the shotgun in the store. No matter what I did I couldn't change my weapon to the shotgun even though it was clearly unlocked on the screen. Was it maybe an error caused by me purchasing a weapon out of order? Because of this I can't truly give an honest review about the gameplay (see down below) because I don't know how those weapons helped/didn't help.

~ Animation/Graphics ~

I thought the graphics on the title screen were really well done and the character design was nice. I thought the level graphics was a bit basic, but it would make a really nice simple level one. It may be neat to have the zombies look like they're getting a little destroyed as you shoot them. Pieces falling off, etc... Maybe even the addition of some blood splatter on the ground and whatnot.

It would have been nice to have an animated health bar on the screen so we know exactly how many hits it's going to require before we die. Also, this would give us some physical sense of whether we are being hit by the enemy other than the screen shaking. It can be hard to detect a shaking of the screen if you are in mid jump.

Other than that the mechanics were really smooth and everything looked good.

~ Story/Gameplay ~

I have no clue what was going to be in your final version, but this has so much potential that I could talk and talk about it. I won't write that much this time because it doesn't seem to be something you're going to finish.

I think the addition of more weapons would be awesome. I had a glitch when trying to switch weapons so I don't know if the more powerful ones had any downfalls. Since the handgun had unlimited ammo, if the other weapons also had unlimited ammo the game would probably be way too easy. I got really far with just the handgun itself, I can't imagine blasting people with a shotgun while jumping around. Because of this error I can't comment on the weapons, power, difficulty, etc...

Maybe I didn't make it far enough, but different enemies and bosses would be awesome. If these were included please let me know and I'll try again so I can how they were. Also, after several waves it would be great if we went to a new map with a different background/obstacles.

Sometimes the enemies just spawn where you are standing. If you don't want to have them come from the sides you could try to have them crawl up from the ground or kind of get "teleported" in with a slight delay so we aren't caught off guard with a little bit of unfairness.

~ Audio ~

I usually comment on audio, but I'm being bad and taking a break at work.... well a mini lunch of sorts... I won't judge on audio this time around... sorry about that it kind of leaves a mediocre review, but I don't want to wait until I get home because I may forget what I was going to say.

~ Overall ~

If you do ever make this a complete functional game I'll be there to play it. With more variety in enemies, backgrounds, levels, and weapons along with the inclusion of newgrounds medals, I would think we have a winner here.

larrynachos responds:

This is an incredibly inspiring review :) I almost want to get started on the new version right away ^^ Thank you so much for the honest and helpful feedback!

Axllet Axllet

Get in your settings and change the description of the Run Mode medal. In the description you've spelled run as rum. I was hoping there was a rum drinking level, but sadly there was no rum involved.

~ Animation/Graphics ~

It's very basic in every manner. The whole circles and squares shoot at other circles and squares has been overdone and over used. I highly recommend taking the time to make the shapes something more. If you're going to go with shapes change it up a little bit. Circles, triangles, squares, etc... It's just basic/boring to the viewer and we want more! :P

I had no problem with any controls and everything seemed to work very smoothly.

~ Story/Gameplay ~

The basic gameplay was a little fun, but without a real challenge here there was no reason for me to keep playing. The only mode that is difficult is the endless mode and there's no reason to keep playing it in my opinion because you don't have any medals tied to it.

Medal Ideas that would have kept me playing:

Last for 1 minute on endless mode
Last for 2 minutes on endless mode
Upgrade your fire rate 5 times
Upgrade everything to max level, etc....

I would have also liked to see different modes.

Mode ideas:

Stationary mode (Where the circle stays in the middle of the screen and can't move
Vs. Mode (Two players can battle each other)

The biggest downfall of this game was the lack of explanation and how basic the menus were. I never quite knew what an upgrade looked like before I started, what the modes really stood for without making educated guesses, and how to unlock other levels because there was no detail or description anywhere. It would have been a lot better if there was a how to and more descriptions when someone hovered their mouse over a button.

After unlocking the first two levels I couldn't get into anything without clicking the blue button and getting to the main menu? Glitch?

~ Audio ~

Probably the best thing about this game. Nice background music during the gameplay and nice menu music. I also liked all of the sound effects that you used during the game. (gun shots, deaths, collection) Good attention to detail here!

~ Overall ~

Way too easy, not enough content, and really no reason to come back and play the game again. That being said it's not a bad game by any means, but there is a ton that could make this game a lot better.

BASSAM18 responds:

thanks, your comment really explain the whole game you must really spend your time checking everything in the game really thank you Fro i will save your comment to check what it really needs , but one thing i dont think the game is easy like you said many people told me it was even too hard
but thanks for your comment Fro it really define the game .

Nightmare Runner 2 Nightmare Runner 2

So it's good, but I'm terrible at it. I didn't let that influence my vote, but damn... I couldn't make it past the easy stage.... it never had anything to do with any of the monsters. I always died because of jumping. I played for over 30 minutes before I realized that I was getting really frustrated so I quit. Refreshed the page and realized I never got a single medal. That made me feel like such a waste so I opened the game back up and through my first run I at least got the kill three bosses in one game medal. At least I wasn't a complete failure... just mostly... Ok, on to the review...

~ Animation/Graphics ~

I loved the simplistic, yet high quality shadow type characters. I never unlocked any of the other characters to run with, but it was an awesome style all around. The background could have used a little bit of variety, but the fact that you put in a few details in the background at all shows a lot of effort as most basic games skip over small details like that.

It would be really neat to see the monsters in the background battling with airships or something of the sort. It wouldn't have to happen a lot, but just every so many minutes to change things up a little bit.

~ Story/Gameplay ~

So way too hard for me, but I never was good at jumping games. You should see me rage quit on Mario. As soon as I got use to jumping and thought the game was getting easier.. I found out that the higher jump skills that I unlocked made the game harder for me. I could barely judge the timing on jumps and 100% of the time I died on the side of a cliff or down through a hole.

The game would have been more fun for someone like me if it was a basic straight runner. Maybe some jumps here and there, but not the dreaded holes that you can fall down. I also hated that just barely touching the side of the cliff was death when I had a second jump available. At first I was alright with it because it is more realistic, but then I remembered there was a 2nd jump available mid air so we weren't really going for reality here...

Like I was saying, a straight running shooter were the main focus would have been on tougher bosses/enemies would have been a better fit for me. I'm sure that others disagree though and liked the style of the game the way that it is.

It would have been nice to see more than a shotgun upgrade. Perhaps addition of a couple of different weapons? Also, when a player recieved more than one shotgun upgrade before it expired it would have been neat to increase the spread in addition to the already instated benefit of adding more time to the shotgun.

I liked the different enemies, but the game was kind of boring because of how repetitive it was. I think the level was a little too long and could have benefited from shorter distances. (Of course the guy who couldn't make it to the end would say that... he sucked at the game haha)

I'm not sure if I ever saw the benefit of the the faster shooting. It didn't seem to help at all, but maybe it made a bigger difference in the harder levels. Something I never tried because I couldn't make it past the easy level.

Did you read to this point? Good... forget half of what I just said... I just completed it on easy. HARD MODE IS INTENSE AND FUN. I may have to keep coming back just to try and finish up getting all of the hard level medals. If anything hopefully that series of sentences I put in shows you the levels of frustrations a player may go through. (I always start my reviews during gameplay because sometimes they get lengthy)

~Audio ~

I really liked the background music and the noises the monsters made as you killed them. I would have liked to hear a quiet gun noise, but I completely understand why you didn't. The gun shoots so rapid that it could have become annoying quite quickly.

Just a few more grunt, groans, moans, screams, and other sound effects would have been nice though.

~ Overall ~

A game that starts off difficult in my opinion, but with enough practice it can be completed. Hard mode is the intensity that makes the game interesting while easy mode, while being hard, can also be boring because of the length of the level. Perhaps additional levels in the future would be good and a little bit of additional details here and there.

ClockworkMonster responds:

------- Update -------

Hard mode is now unlocked and easy mode is now shorter.

Thanks a lot for your help!

--------------------------

WoW, nice feedback!

I must admit that the game shines in hard level. I designed it so you continually feel the pressure of enemies closing in. I think I´ll make the easy level 20% shorter.

I am planning to add more variety in backgrounds, with nice monsters showing and stuff (next game), and also extra weapons and game levels/ modes.
Even a "dark mode" that looks pretty interesting in my prototype (Play my previous game "land of Darkness" to get a glimpse...). But that will be in the sequel, using Unity3D.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!!!

All Madness Collab All Madness Collab

You guys are a couple of days past Madness Day!

~ Animation/Graphics ~

General: The entire animation was really choppy. There was a lot of unnecessary pausing before, during, and after scenes. It was almost unwatchable because of this, but I stuck through it and finished it. There was a lack of animation in almost every scene, but there were literally scenes where there were no animation at all. I know you say don't expect the animation to be good, but they were pretty bad all around.

It also felt very empty because there were shifting shapes of "backgrounds". I quote background because there were never any used. I could increase the score of my review and rating by a point if you guys simply put background to everything. That's about as basic is it comes and I highly recommend it in any future submissions.

YellowBlood19 - Your animations were very choppy and at times too quick. The lack of background made things seem really out of place and childish.

Chimbro - Your animation was smoother, but was a little too slow. A faster framerate would improve your animation by quite a bit!

Shadz64 - You were probably the smoothest animator of the group, but your scenes were so short and out of place like the rest of the submissions.

~ Story/Content ~

So the first thing is this needs a working menu of sorts. What I think would be the best is to have a main section where it plays all of the animation and then a menu for each individual artist so we can see everybody's submissions separate. A working menu could improve the score of this submission quite easily. To go along with that I highly recommend a replay button. It just ends, but while writing this review it starts over again randomly. Without these basic simply menu/buttons it gives this submission a very incomplete and empty feeling.

Other than the poor animation, the biggest downfall of this submission was the complete lack of content. There was basically no action, no humor, nothing really ever happens. It's not really worth watching. Each individual submission needed to be longer and just literally have something happen.

To improve next time write out a goal for what you want to happen in the scene, make sure they last at least 15 seconds (and not the way you made them last longer by having nothing happen while we watched pictures on the screen not move for huge chunks of time)

~ Audio ~

The music choice was the best thing about this submission. The sound effects worked just fine and were of good quality as well.

~ Overall ~

Very basic basic basic animation that needs a lot of improvement. There was basically no content and the entire submission was choppy/incomplete.

Incident: Random Incident: Random

~ Animation/Graphics ~

I liked some of the variety in characters, but the animation was lacking in some aspects. For example, the transition from outside to inside the building was choppy and didn't work out too well. It wasn't the smoothest animation, but it was pretty good for a Madness submission.

I thought the 2nd part where the background was all black and the random character stood on top while the body part jumped over a line type this was really lacking in almost everything. It could have used a background of sorts and more detail.

~ Story/Content ~

Not a bad short for a Madness submission. I would have liked to have seen it be a little bit longer, but the length works. It may be random, but not random in a good way. It started off with structure and making sense, but the whole scene at the end was just way out there. Maybe I was missing something? Ehh, this is the biggest downfall of the submission.

~ Audio ~

Audio was fine... could have used a smoother transition between songs, but alright all around.

~ Overall ~

Not really the smoothest animation, wasn't really random in a good way, and the audio was ok enough to get it by. I recommend some sort of replay button at the end. It always sucks when you have to refresh a page to play something again, especially when someone wants to review it as it makes it more difficult to go back and see key points.

The 1v1 Paintball game The 1v1 Paintball game

If you face right up against a wall and shoot right between two dark boxes you will shoot a L shape pattern into the blocks, creating two splattered surfaces at a time, but any additional splatter will take away the one splatter that is in between the two blocks. Unless it gets shot by another player then it covers in the same L shape.

If you hold down a shoot button it shoots at a good rate, but it only makes the original sounds of the shot. Perhaps there's a way to attach the sound to every time a bullet shows up on the screen and not just every time the button is pushed.

I thought everything was pretty basic, but it works for what the game is to a point. More detail would be nice. I think that walking with the combination of up/right, etc... should move in a diagonal direction to make things smoother. I'd like to see the paint ball bullets a little faster, but I guess it kind of works this way because it gives someone an opportunity to dodge them.

There's this weird white spot behind the blue score area that looks like you just missed. Sticks out like a sore thumb. I also think it would look really cool if you made a blue/red splatter mix for when both players hit the same wall. This opens you up to some mini games and just would look like a more finished product.

The game is alright, but it lacks any real content. I couldn't imagine myself asking my buddy if they wanted to come hang out so we could play that cool paintball game that we found online. Perhaps if the controls were a little more smooth and you added something more it could be though. For example, it's great that there is a score, but wouldn't it be much better if there was a time limit to each level? You could even have different mini games where the point is to paint as much surface with your color before the time runs out while the other person can cover yours up to make it theirs, etc...

The addition of a single player mode would be the best and easiest way to improve this submission. Perhaps adding some levels and enemies that move around randomly until you are in their sites or are always slowly moving towards you. They could even have different patterns like in pacman where one ghost always moves towards you, one always stays behind, one moves random, etc.. etc...

Overall, this whole submission really seemed unfinished. Paying attention to adding small details as simple as a cleaner more functional menu with in game instructions could improve them game greatly. Add some music in the background and some more content and watch how your scores improve from here on out.

Gurken responds:

Okay

High Boom High Boom

I'll write my review in English, then in poor Spanish.

~ Animation/Graphics ~

You have a really nice art style, but it is also very simple. I would like to see you grow as an artist and make things a little more detailed. The animation itself was smooth, but could be worked on a little bit as well. Adding a little bit more detail into the background would improve this submission a little more as well.

Tienes un estilo de arte realmente agradable, pero también es muy simple. Me gustaría verte crecer como artista y hacer las cosas un poco más detalladas. La animación en sí era suave, pero podría ser trabajado en un poco así. Añadir un poco más de detalle en el fondo mejoraría esta presentación un poco más también.

~ Story/Plot ~

I guess I didn't really get the punch line. Perhaps that's because English is my language. Since you are posting to a website that is almost primarily an English speaking website it may be a good idea to add optional subtitles on the bottom of the screen that people could toggle on and off. That way if they speak Spanish they can keep them off and if they speak English they can toggle them on.

Supongo que no conseguí la línea de golpes. Tal vez eso es porque el inglés es mi idioma. Puesto que usted está fijando a un Web site que sea casi sobre todo un Web site que habla inglés puede ser una buena idea agregar los subtítulos opcionales en la parte inferior de la pantalla que la gente podría alternar encendido y apagado. De esa manera si hablan español pueden mantenerlos fuera y si hablan inglés pueden cambiarlos.

~ Audio ~

I have no complaints at all here. Everything seemed good. It was kind of silent overall and could do with some more background sounds and voices. All in all good though.

No tengo ninguna queja en todo aquí. Todo parecía bueno. Fue un poco silencioso en general y podría hacer con algunos sonidos de fondo y voces. En general bien.

~ Overall ~

A pretty simple animation that could use a little bit of work, but pretty well produced. I'd highly recommend subtitles because of the population of the audience you'll have here.

Una animación bastante simple que podría utilizar un poco de trabajo, pero bastante bien producido. Recomiendo altamente subtítulos debido a la población de la audiencia que usted tendrá aquí.

NickConter responds:

Thanks for the commentary, just a few think you should know:
- I actually did this almost a year ago and I first uploaded to YouTube with English subtitles (also don´t worry for the "story", it all started because I drew those two guys hi 5ing and my friends told me to animate it, so that is why it doesn't really makes sense)
- The most recent animation that i did was a 4 second animation in the Mama Luigi Project, so you can see if I have improved.
- I was bored one day and remembered that I used to watch a lot of Newgrounds back in the day (I don´t remember why, I didn't knew English back then) and I decided to upload the video here and see what happens, but I don´t know how to put English subtitles here.

In other words thanks for taking the time to review mi animation and I appreciate the criticism, I´m working on another one in between school and stuff, maybe i´ll do and Spanish and English version since it doesn't have voice acting.

The Refrigerator The Refrigerator

~ Animation/Graphics ~

I think that you had your own style and it was pretty decent, especially for the theme of the animation. I thought it was a little simplistic and that there was a little bit of room for improvement on some things. For example, the people were pretty odd shaped and could be refined a little. The dirt pile that was dumped on the refrigerator was a little too basic and could have been detailed better. It would have also been a bit better if there was a little bit more detail put into the background. Some things weren't as smooth as they could have been such as the people moving and whatnot, but overall the simple style probably works for this submission.

~ Story/Plot ~

This was borderline awesome. It just ended a little bit random for my liking. During the entire submission I'm loving the originality and the humor of a fridge being dumped off as garbage away from the family that he grew up to love and care for. It brings up so many damn questions. Can only this kid here the fridge? Does it take the magic power of being a kid and having an open mind? Did his last owners hear him talk? If they did, why in the world would they get rid of him? Obviously talking fridges isn't just common since the kid is really surprised when this one talks to him... or is he just startled because he doesn't know it's there...?

Let me in on your universe! I was also thinking about what a great series this could have been if taken in two different directions. This fridge, which is capable of moving and doesn't need to stay at the dump... or he could... could start killing people as his revenge for being dumped. He could stay in the dump and kill people in creative ways or even recruit some of the "trash" being dropped off and lead a revolution against the human kind. Damn, I would watch and love a series like that!

What I thought was going to happen was the father and son were going to take him home as a beer fridge. That wouldn't make such a good flash, but maybe they could take him home and the fridge could start a different adventure from there. The ending proves that a series or that I thought of a series wasn't ever really the plan though. I just wanted to throw those out there just in case!

The topic of the ending... how.. I get it. The humor is actually pretty good, but just a tad bit too random. Not like way over random, but I shook my head a bit when the drugs came out. I wish it didn't go that direction and I kind of wish I didn't have to imagine this fridges revenge being as simple as one child he didn't know and getting himself crushed to death. Doesn't seem like much of a revenge. That being said, I left laughing and saying whattt...

~ Audio ~

I would have liked to see some original music put in this submission. Maybe from the audio portal or some royalty free music, but all in all it was very fitting for the animation. The voices were really good and I think everything was pretty good quality in this aspect.

~ Other ~

A replay button/rolling credits at the end would have been better fitting.

~ Overall ~

The animations/graphics were a it basic, I left laughing and love the originality of the idea, and the audio was of good choice and quality.

madness scene maker v2.0 madness scene maker v2.0

Very basic. There are a lot of advanced things that I would recommend doing such as having an item be unlimited so you can have less copies in the selection area, but use as many as you want in the creation area. Even if you wanted to do something more simple you could have made multiple copies like 100's of each and placed them over top of each other. That way when someone dragged one into position there was just another one waiting for them.

You should have every item facing left and right equally. You have an over abundance of facing to the left, but hardly anything facing to the right. The selection area is way too big and the creation area is way too small. The white areas in between the sections gives it an unfinished and unpolished look.

It would have been better with some background music or even a selection menu for choosing background music. Think of your common Madness video/game songs and go from there.

random madness tests random madness tests

The random test thing is alright, but it's still nice to see some sort of background. That being said, I can get over that because they are simply tests.

The animation is way too fast... it basically takes away from any enjoyment of being able to watch this. The animation is good otherwise.

Because of the length of the submission the loop was alright, but I highly recommend waiting until you have a few more tests, add a play/replay button, and then submit something like this. It was way too short, but I'm assuming how fast the animation was had something to do with that.