All Madness Collab All Madness Collab

You guys are a couple of days past Madness Day!

~ Animation/Graphics ~

General: The entire animation was really choppy. There was a lot of unnecessary pausing before, during, and after scenes. It was almost unwatchable because of this, but I stuck through it and finished it. There was a lack of animation in almost every scene, but there were literally scenes where there were no animation at all. I know you say don't expect the animation to be good, but they were pretty bad all around.

It also felt very empty because there were shifting shapes of "backgrounds". I quote background because there were never any used. I could increase the score of my review and rating by a point if you guys simply put background to everything. That's about as basic is it comes and I highly recommend it in any future submissions.

YellowBlood19 - Your animations were very choppy and at times too quick. The lack of background made things seem really out of place and childish.

Chimbro - Your animation was smoother, but was a little too slow. A faster framerate would improve your animation by quite a bit!

Shadz64 - You were probably the smoothest animator of the group, but your scenes were so short and out of place like the rest of the submissions.

~ Story/Content ~

So the first thing is this needs a working menu of sorts. What I think would be the best is to have a main section where it plays all of the animation and then a menu for each individual artist so we can see everybody's submissions separate. A working menu could improve the score of this submission quite easily. To go along with that I highly recommend a replay button. It just ends, but while writing this review it starts over again randomly. Without these basic simply menu/buttons it gives this submission a very incomplete and empty feeling.

Other than the poor animation, the biggest downfall of this submission was the complete lack of content. There was basically no action, no humor, nothing really ever happens. It's not really worth watching. Each individual submission needed to be longer and just literally have something happen.

To improve next time write out a goal for what you want to happen in the scene, make sure they last at least 15 seconds (and not the way you made them last longer by having nothing happen while we watched pictures on the screen not move for huge chunks of time)

~ Audio ~

The music choice was the best thing about this submission. The sound effects worked just fine and were of good quality as well.

~ Overall ~

Very basic basic basic animation that needs a lot of improvement. There was basically no content and the entire submission was choppy/incomplete.

Incident: Random Incident: Random

~ Animation/Graphics ~

I liked some of the variety in characters, but the animation was lacking in some aspects. For example, the transition from outside to inside the building was choppy and didn't work out too well. It wasn't the smoothest animation, but it was pretty good for a Madness submission.

I thought the 2nd part where the background was all black and the random character stood on top while the body part jumped over a line type this was really lacking in almost everything. It could have used a background of sorts and more detail.

~ Story/Content ~

Not a bad short for a Madness submission. I would have liked to have seen it be a little bit longer, but the length works. It may be random, but not random in a good way. It started off with structure and making sense, but the whole scene at the end was just way out there. Maybe I was missing something? Ehh, this is the biggest downfall of the submission.

~ Audio ~

Audio was fine... could have used a smoother transition between songs, but alright all around.

~ Overall ~

Not really the smoothest animation, wasn't really random in a good way, and the audio was ok enough to get it by. I recommend some sort of replay button at the end. It always sucks when you have to refresh a page to play something again, especially when someone wants to review it as it makes it more difficult to go back and see key points.

High Boom High Boom

I'll write my review in English, then in poor Spanish.

~ Animation/Graphics ~

You have a really nice art style, but it is also very simple. I would like to see you grow as an artist and make things a little more detailed. The animation itself was smooth, but could be worked on a little bit as well. Adding a little bit more detail into the background would improve this submission a little more as well.

Tienes un estilo de arte realmente agradable, pero también es muy simple. Me gustaría verte crecer como artista y hacer las cosas un poco más detalladas. La animación en sí era suave, pero podría ser trabajado en un poco así. Añadir un poco más de detalle en el fondo mejoraría esta presentación un poco más también.

~ Story/Plot ~

I guess I didn't really get the punch line. Perhaps that's because English is my language. Since you are posting to a website that is almost primarily an English speaking website it may be a good idea to add optional subtitles on the bottom of the screen that people could toggle on and off. That way if they speak Spanish they can keep them off and if they speak English they can toggle them on.

Supongo que no conseguí la línea de golpes. Tal vez eso es porque el inglés es mi idioma. Puesto que usted está fijando a un Web site que sea casi sobre todo un Web site que habla inglés puede ser una buena idea agregar los subtítulos opcionales en la parte inferior de la pantalla que la gente podría alternar encendido y apagado. De esa manera si hablan español pueden mantenerlos fuera y si hablan inglés pueden cambiarlos.

~ Audio ~

I have no complaints at all here. Everything seemed good. It was kind of silent overall and could do with some more background sounds and voices. All in all good though.

No tengo ninguna queja en todo aquí. Todo parecía bueno. Fue un poco silencioso en general y podría hacer con algunos sonidos de fondo y voces. En general bien.

~ Overall ~

A pretty simple animation that could use a little bit of work, but pretty well produced. I'd highly recommend subtitles because of the population of the audience you'll have here.

Una animación bastante simple que podría utilizar un poco de trabajo, pero bastante bien producido. Recomiendo altamente subtítulos debido a la población de la audiencia que usted tendrá aquí.

~ Review Request Club ~

NickConter responds:

Thanks for the commentary, just a few think you should know:
- I actually did this almost a year ago and I first uploaded to YouTube with English subtitles (also don´t worry for the "story", it all started because I drew those two guys hi 5ing and my friends told me to animate it, so that is why it doesn't really makes sense)
- The most recent animation that i did was a 4 second animation in the Mama Luigi Project, so you can see if I have improved.
- I was bored one day and remembered that I used to watch a lot of Newgrounds back in the day (I don´t remember why, I didn't knew English back then) and I decided to upload the video here and see what happens, but I don´t know how to put English subtitles here.

In other words thanks for taking the time to review mi animation and I appreciate the criticism, I´m working on another one in between school and stuff, maybe i´ll do and Spanish and English version since it doesn't have voice acting.

The Refrigerator The Refrigerator

~ Animation/Graphics ~

I think that you had your own style and it was pretty decent, especially for the theme of the animation. I thought it was a little simplistic and that there was a little bit of room for improvement on some things. For example, the people were pretty odd shaped and could be refined a little. The dirt pile that was dumped on the refrigerator was a little too basic and could have been detailed better. It would have also been a bit better if there was a little bit more detail put into the background. Some things weren't as smooth as they could have been such as the people moving and whatnot, but overall the simple style probably works for this submission.

~ Story/Plot ~

This was borderline awesome. It just ended a little bit random for my liking. During the entire submission I'm loving the originality and the humor of a fridge being dumped off as garbage away from the family that he grew up to love and care for. It brings up so many damn questions. Can only this kid here the fridge? Does it take the magic power of being a kid and having an open mind? Did his last owners hear him talk? If they did, why in the world would they get rid of him? Obviously talking fridges isn't just common since the kid is really surprised when this one talks to him... or is he just startled because he doesn't know it's there...?

Let me in on your universe! I was also thinking about what a great series this could have been if taken in two different directions. This fridge, which is capable of moving and doesn't need to stay at the dump... or he could... could start killing people as his revenge for being dumped. He could stay in the dump and kill people in creative ways or even recruit some of the "trash" being dropped off and lead a revolution against the human kind. Damn, I would watch and love a series like that!

What I thought was going to happen was the father and son were going to take him home as a beer fridge. That wouldn't make such a good flash, but maybe they could take him home and the fridge could start a different adventure from there. The ending proves that a series or that I thought of a series wasn't ever really the plan though. I just wanted to throw those out there just in case!

The topic of the ending... how.. I get it. The humor is actually pretty good, but just a tad bit too random. Not like way over random, but I shook my head a bit when the drugs came out. I wish it didn't go that direction and I kind of wish I didn't have to imagine this fridges revenge being as simple as one child he didn't know and getting himself crushed to death. Doesn't seem like much of a revenge. That being said, I left laughing and saying whattt...

~ Audio ~

I would have liked to see some original music put in this submission. Maybe from the audio portal or some royalty free music, but all in all it was very fitting for the animation. The voices were really good and I think everything was pretty good quality in this aspect.

~ Other ~

A replay button/rolling credits at the end would have been better fitting.

~ Overall ~

The animations/graphics were a it basic, I left laughing and love the originality of the idea, and the audio was of good choice and quality.

~ Review Request Club ~

random madness tests random madness tests

The random test thing is alright, but it's still nice to see some sort of background. That being said, I can get over that because they are simply tests.

The animation is way too fast... it basically takes away from any enjoyment of being able to watch this. The animation is good otherwise.

Because of the length of the submission the loop was alright, but I highly recommend waiting until you have a few more tests, add a play/replay button, and then submit something like this. It was way too short, but I'm assuming how fast the animation was had something to do with that.

Evil Otter Evil Otter

Wtf?

That was directed towards both the audio and the animation. So first I'll start off with the animation. You've definitely haven't gotten a lot better since the flashes we made with the... oh.. I don't even want to bring those up. :P Ahem, so yeah. The animation was really basic, but you've have gotten a lot better at it.

Soo... what does the Otter really have to do with anything here? It was kind of out of place and I could see the voice acting being better served on something more cartoony with a human character.

The voice acting itself was ok, but it really wasn't that funny. It seemed sort of forced... well... maybe it just didn't go along with the right style of animation?

Also, the video stops playing when it is over, but the audio still keeps going? I thought I was missing something, but maybe you should have thrown on a replay button at the end to make things more functional.

MonoFlauta responds:

Hahahaha, thanks a lot for the review.
I just heared the audio and wanted to do something quick for fun. And also: "The animation was really basic, but you've have gotten a lot better at it." Don't lie, to me, I know I am a programmer and that will never be possible haha.
About the Otter and the voice acting. It was just a random thing of the momment. I listened to it and made it in less than 2 hours. So yeah, it is crappy haha.
But well, it worked because it was fun to do something different.
Thanks once again again for the review!

DotWars DotWars

I know it's a short and that you did it for fun, but it's really not something that's very good. I actually think that dot and/or stick animations can be very entertaining to watch. As practice, this is a good start, but as a submission it's not very good.

The animation was choppy and could be smoother. The biggest downer was the lack of detail in the background. It would have been nice to work on that and this submission would have been a lot better. Add some length and you actually have a pretty good piece.

I also noticed that some of the "damage" to the walls in the first scene went away after a few seconds. I believe that was probably an error. You did have some nice detail in the last scene where the lamp was swaying back and forth though.

Music was an alright choice and you did a good job on the sound effects.

Madness Tribute - Revenge Madness Tribute - Revenge

Probably not the best. I've kind of watched your submissions out of order so I see that you have improved with your animation skills since this episode.

By far the thing that needed improvement the most from this submission was the frame rate. Things were happening at a faster rate than what they should have and it kind of ruined the whole thing.

While Madness can and is random, they are usually longer than this and have a little bit of structure. I think since this episode happened so quickly it kind of threw everything else out of whack.

I also didn't really enjoy how small the screen was. This should have been animated at a larger size. The sound effects and music size were well picked.

Madness Test Fight Madness Test Fight

This was actually a pretty good test!

The animation was fairly smooth and I was impressed with the quality of this madness animation. The only thing that I would really recommend is using a background that you made or simply a background that fits with the style.

Taking the picture and pasting it as the background wasn't the best of choices. It's fuzzy and really doesn't fit at all. It was rather short, even for a test, and would be nice to have some additional content. Perhaps moving on to a different section of town or some sort of transition?

The audio was very good and I have no complaints there at all.

Project Winter #3 Project Winter #3

Your animating skills definitely improved throughout the series. The biggest fault was the animation is slow and laggy. The scenes where the main character is dodging bullets and flipping took so long that I wasn't sure if they were suppose to represent slow motion or not.

The audio was good, but the songs sounded compressed and a little foggy. The story wasn't anything new or exciting, but could become something somebody would come back to watch with a little fine tuning.

I see you never finished this and that you planned on coming back to the whole series to make it better. That's been quite a few years and your website is no longer a domain so I'm assuming that isn't a part of the plan anymore.

All in all, if you were to revamp this and do it over I bet it would turn out much better and I'd be willing to come watch it.

(I am now done completing icons for your submissions!)